The Frank Hecker house, on the corner of Woodward and Ferry, was completed in 1890. It was designed by architect Louis Kamper, and was based on the Chateau de Chenonceaux, near Tours, France.
A bull is led by the Buhl Building in 1960 for a Downtown Detroit Days shopping promotion.
Crossing Michigan Avenue at Griswold on Aug. 11, 1964.
Detroit City Hall about 1908, with the Hammond Building at right and the old Hotel Pontchartrain behind at left. City Hall’s mix of design styles was controversial from the beginning, but as the decades went by, preservationists fought to save it. Eventually they lost the battle and it was demolished in 1961.
Detroit High School, center, at the junction of Griswold and State streets, is shown circa 1876. It was constructed on the site of the old State Capitol after the capitol was removed to Lansing in 1847. The high school burned in 1893 and the site was converted into Capitol Park, which still exists today.
Detroit’s Griswold Street was bustling in the 1920s, and has been the heart of the financial district since the 1830s. Here’s a look at the street back in its heyday.
Crowds line the streets in Detroit as soldiers from the Michigan National Guard march to Union Depot for their departure to Camp Eaton near Brighton to prepare for the Spanish-American War in 1898.
Henry Ford shares a secret with his pal Thomas Edison, who was hard of hearing, in this photo dated 1928.
A Detroit automobile jubilee on April 12, 1946, included this tableau featuring a 1910 Olds, an 1899 Packard and a 1909 REO Truck.
Coleman Young, 1974-1994, Democrat: The former Tuskegee Airman and state senator became Detroit’s first African-American mayor and served a record five terms. He’s seen here with Diana Ross at a concert in 1974.
Throwing the ceremonial first pitch at the Detroit Tigers’ home opener has been one of the duties of Detroit’s mayor over the years. Above, John W. Smith does the honors in 1937.
The Ice Ca-Pets in their exquisite costumes for the condensed version of Puccini’s “Madame Butterfly” in the Ice Capades of 1958 at Olympia Stadium.